Enforcement of Court Orders

Enforcement of Custody and Support Orders

The process of divorce or obtaining a custody or support order is difficult from both the emotional and financial standpoints. The last thing you want after the conclusion of a legal case is to deal with a former spouse or other parent who refuses to obey the terms of a divorce decree regarding custody, child support or spousal support.

If your former spouse or your child’s other parent refuses to comply with the terms of a divorce, support or custody order, contact the experienced divorce and family law attorneys at the law firm of Brooke, Brady & Schopfer, LLP. Based in Poughkeepsie, New York, our law firm is focused 100 percent on the practice of divorce and family law. We serve clients throughout Dutchess County, and we are highly familiar with local court rules and procedures to enforce New York court orders.

Common Issues After a Divorce or Family Court Litigation

You would think that very few people would intentionally disobey a court order. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Fortunately, you do have legal recourse. You may use the court system to help enforce your orders and even seek an award of attorney fees if your ex-spouse or the other parent has intentionally disobeyed the terms of a court order without legal justification.

Our attorneys can help if an obligor refuses to do any of the following:

  • Pay child support
  • Pay spousal support (alimony)
  • Cooperate in the sale of the marital home
  • Hand over any personal property you were awarded in the divorce
  • Comply with any other terms of a judgment of divorce or other court order

Compliance with a court order is not discretionary. If your former spouse will not comply with a court order and you need help with an enforcement action, we can help.

Contact Our Trusted Family Court Attorneys

To speak with a lawyer at our firm about the enforcement of child support and custody, spousal support or personal property, contact Brooke, Brady & Schopfer in Poughkeepsie, New York, today to schedule a free initial consultation. We can also be reached by calling 845-454-2540.