Change of Custody and Child Custody Modifications
Many child custody disputes arise after a divorce or custody proceeding is finalized because changes have occurred that affect the welfare of a child. While parents (in reaching agreements) and judges (in issuing orders) do their best to anticipate the future needs of a child after a divorce or custody proceeding, the truth is that no person is capable of anticipating all of life’s twists and turns.
If you are involved in a modification of child custody or visitation dispute in Dutchess County, New York, the experienced family law attorneys at Brooke, Brady & Schopfer, LLP, can help. We can handle any child custody and visitation issue you may encounter, including:
- Modification of child custody after a divorce or custody proceeding
- Modification of visitation/parenting time after a divorce or custody proceeding
- Child custody and visitation disputes during legal separation
- Domestic violence issues that affect child welfare
- Child custody and visitation disputes in a paternity proceeding
- Relocation disputes (moving away with children)
- Social services and child protective services proceedings
If you need to speak with a lawyer at our firm about a child custody modification or other custody and visitation issue, contact our law office in Poughkeepsie, New York.
The Standard to Modify Child Custody Orders
The parent seeking a post-decree modification of child custody in New York must show a change of circumstances since the previous court order and the change must be substantial. There are many factors that may warrant a change in custody or adjustment in the terms. The best interests and needs of the children are paramount.
If you are involved in these kinds of disputes in Dutchess County, contact the experienced Poughkeepsie custody modification attorneys at Brooke, Brady & Schopfer, LLP. We devote our practice exclusively to divorce and family law matters, so we can provide the knowledgeable and qualified legal representation you need. To contact a family law attorney at our Poughkeepsie, New York, law office, call 845-454-2540 or contact us by e-mail to arrange a free initial consultation.